Saturday, July 20, 2013

MSF Dirt School...this should be interesting

Morning...

After riding for eight years now and surviving several thousand miles off-road on my BMW R1200GS, I've decided it was time to take a class to learn how to do more than survive. Today I will be attending an MSF Dirt School to learn how to ride a dirt bike. I am hoping to learn skills that will allow me to be able to take advantage of the vast off-road riding available near my new home in Southern California.

After looking around at different companies that offered off-road training with options from three day camps at $1,400 riding your bike to half day courses bike provided. I have signed up with is www.schoolofdirt.com to attend their half day course, for several reasons. First, I'm an aspiring writer, former software engineer that is currently unemployed so, cost means allot. Second, I don't like the idea of using my bike to take a class where, I know, I'm gonna end up in the dirt which risks my expensive bike, part of the reason I want to take the class is to minimize the risk of damage to the bike, not to mention myself. Third, proximity is a big deal. The School of Dirt is only twenty five minutes from my house, which means I can be home in time to cook dinner, as well as, be close enough to go back in with follow up questions or additional instruction without having to plan a major trip in advance. Finally, my biggest deciding factor was around community. This organization is run by local people that have found a way to give back to the local motorcycle community by teaching responsible/safe riding and do something they enjoy. Working with a small organization gives me an opportunity to meet locals and hopefully begin establishing my own connections to the community, in which I am new.

My research suggests the intention of this class is to teach basic techniques and how to ride dirt bikes responsibly. Further techniques developed are riding strategies, direction change, signaling, control, starting and stopping, traversing hills, emergency maneuvers, and negotiating obstacles.

Well, time to get ready! I'll write a full review after I've completed the class.

Live like I ride...with a smile...
...it only takes one lifetime to get it right...
...but all of them to whine if you don't!


No comments:

Post a Comment